Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Habit.

Someone once told me that it takes 21 days to break a habit, and 21 days to form a new one. I'm not exactly sure what day I am on, but guessing that it has been more than 21, I'm gonna have to agree with that.

When I first started this journey, I went to Trader Joes, and Whole Foods and stocked up on all types of goodies - veggie burgers, spinach, mushrooms, lots and lots of rice, "chicken-less" nuggets, and everything else that I thought I would need, or that my "Vegetarian Beginner's guide told me to get. It was something like a survival kit. Because if all else failed, I could always throw a veggie burger in the oven and I would no longer be hungry. I attempted to substitute for meat, instead of just cook without it.

The nuggets, the eggs, and the veggie-burgers were "meat-like," and that is what I needed. However, now that is not the case.

Instead, I wake up in the morning and happily eat my breakfast without sausage on the side. I cook my green beans, my rice, and my mushrooms, without feeling the absence of some chicken.


It occurred to me when I was taking myself out to lunch one day - at Panera.

I went up to the register, and ordered "You Pick Two" with the Mediterranean Veggie and a side of macaroni and cheese. There "hmm, let's see what they have without meat in it," no "awww damn, I love the "frontega chicken, but I can't get it."

Just "Mediterranean veggie and macaroni and cheese please."

Somewhere along the way, this veggie experiment has worked its way up to a veggie habit.


*kanyeshrug*

No comments:

Post a Comment